Video games have a bad reputation in society. People tend to associate players with lazy nerds who haven’t showered in days. Video games get blamed for the violence. Adults are seen as losers for enjoying their hobbies. Everyone is always trashing video games just because. However, video games can actually benefit the players in the long run. Did you know that a family can become closer when they play together? Believe it or not, video games can actually help a young player with building their social skills.
Child Players Can Find Common Interests
Not every child is a social butterfly. Some children are shy and would rather keep to themselves. It is not a good idea to force them to be social against their will. That can be really hard, especially when they are going through puberty. In the eyes of Texas law, a minor is aged from 10 years old to 17. One way you can help your kids make friends is to let them play video games. The easiest way to connect with people is to have common interests. Hobbies are the quickest way to do that. If your child plays games like Zelda or Donkey Kong, they will more than likely come across another kid who plays those games as well. From there, the children will have something to talk about. Maybe then, a relationship of some sort can be formed.
Child Players Can Build a Community
Video games have countless fanbases. It is not hard to find more than two people who are die-hard fans of a game. Even the Minecraft population keeps smashing new records every year. A new report shows that 400 million of the 600 million active players come from China alone. As stated before, your child will connect with others on and offline with other players. Some games have to be played with others. In these types of games, players have to learn how to work with others and practice teamwork. Children can even form another family in the game and in real life. Especially in the pandemic, children and adults found solace in their video game communities. A child needs a tribe to grow and develop. Video games are a modern way to do that.
Child Players Can Develop Problem-Solving Skills
Video games actually do have value in the real world.
Recent studies on screen time and child development have shown that children engaged in screen time are actually more likely to have better levels of social and emotional well-being than non-users.
They can help a child develop problem-solving skills. Not every video game has to be about shooting and killing things. Puzzles in video games are a good way to help a child use their brain to help them think about how to solve the game. Now, puzzles can be frustrating depending on the difficulty level. Some kids might give up when they find it too hard, while others will learn to keep trying until they solve it. Their skills in solving puzzles in games will transfer well to solving problems in the real world.
Another example of video games helping with problem-solving is real-life simulations. Games like The Sims and Animal Crossing put the player in a world where they have to create a family, get jobs, build relationships, etc. You are put in the position of making choices for your characters. Speaking of which, there are some games where the child’s choices will affect the outcome of the story and gameplay. They are going to have to learn how to make the right choices in their games.
People are not meant to be alone. Up to 63% of the human race have moved to a new community at least once or twice in their lives. Meanwhile, the remaining 37% will never leave their hometowns. That alone is enough to drive anyone crazy. Video games can help a child try and be a little bit more social. They can become a family activity. Video games don’t have to be a bad thing. They can actually do good for the world.